Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Bookish horror!!!!



Sometimes horrible things happen to the booklover. Things that only other booklovers can understand.

When my husband was going for business trip, he asked me to lend him one of my books. He is not a booklover, therefore I wanted to give him interesting and absorbing book that would caught his attention from the first page. So I gave him my beloved Snowman by Jo Nesbo. Before his departure, I repeated multiple times that he should take care of the book and bring it home safe and sound. Needless to say that I had the gut feeling that something bad was going to happen to my treasured book. 

After my husband arrived to his destination he said that something really bad happened and begged me not to get angry. Here was what happened to The Snowman. After plane had touched down, my husband left laptop and the book on his seat and was trying to collect his hand luggage. In a short moment of inattention, The Snowman was gone in mysterious way! Nobody knew what happened, nobody seen anything!
I felt like somebody kidnapped my child. I do not have any kids, but I assume if I had one I would feel like this.  Terrified, scared, angry and powerless. There was nothing that I could do. There is no booklovers police that I could call and tell them that some heartless person committed bookish crime.
The book was not priceless or rare. I bought it in second hand book store but this was my beloved book though… it had torn cover and a beautiful old book smell.  Ohhh, The Snowman and I been through so much together! Evenings of passionate reading and fear to switch off the light afterword! I was covering the book with other books before I went to the bed because I did not want to see those penetrating eyes of the woman on the cover. And, I always was watching the entrance door, the killer would come anytime!

 Till today, I am asking myself, what kind of person could steal somebody’s book? Without a doubt, that person was not a booklover. A real booklover would never do that.  That thief was selfish and heartless book criminal. Every booklover knows what kind of feeling it is when you lose your beloved book.
 So this is my message to that heartless book theft, whoever and wherever you are…
You deprived me of something so precious. You took from me not only a piece of paper, but you also kidnapped my dear companion, Harry Hole! Even if I buy identical copy of The Snowman, it won’t be the same. Despite all negative feelings that arouse in me after this horrible incident, I decided to forgive you. I hope you enjoyed the Snowman as much as I did. Be good for this book, it really deserves it…
And, small advice to everybody. Never lend your books! Terrible things might happen if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment